Wednesday, August 16, 2017

HONEYMOON WITH MY SOUL

I connect very deeply with the thoughts of Kazantzakis.
During a 2 month stay at the Cite Internationale des Arts in Paris, during December 2007 and January 2008, I had ample opportunity to study his autobiographical 'Report to Greco'. However, there was so much to digest, that in the end it took me a full year to complete my studies of the book. 
Like the layers of an onion, any significant written piece will reveal something new with each successive reading and one is never 'done' with a book containing such depth of understanding and wisdom.
The Cite is situated very close to the Sorbonne and the Cluny Museum (where I spent days on end), and it felt even more uncanny when I discovered that I was regularly walking and lingering in the parts of Paris, with which he was also so familiar. 
 Paris  1 January 2008

I his words which I've extracted from the book (and which could just as well have been my own) Kazantzakis says:
“All my life one of my greatest desires has been to travel-to see and touch unknown countries, to swim in unknown seas, to circle the globe, observing new lands, seas, people, and ideas with insatiable appetite, to see everything for the first time and for the last time, casting a slow, prolonged glance, then to close my eyes and feel the riches deposit themselves inside me calmly or stormily according to their pleasure, until time passes them at last through its fine sieve, straining the quintessence out of all the joys and sorrows.” and also 'I was having a Honeymoon with my Soul."

1 comment:

Rita Kowalska said...

Aleto, pięknie ten czas nazwałaś... "miesiąc miodowy z moją duszą". Chyba kazdy w swoim życiu powinien taki czas wygospodarować, aby dusza, która jest każdemu człowiekowi najbliższa miała wspólny świadomy czas. Czas taki, który nie umyka z nieważnymi momentami naszego żywota, w którym zapominamy o swoim największym Przyjacielu... Duszy. Pozdrawiam Cię serdecznie.